Cooperativa Agraria Cafetalera Oro Verde Ltda.


Link to Canopy Bridge Profile
Indigenous People(s): Chanka Lamista
Country: Peru
Product(s): Cocoa, Coffee, Sugar cane, Honey
Description: The Oro Verde Agrarian Coffee Cooperative is located in the Amazonian Andes of Peru. It is made up of 930 associated families producing coffee, cocoa and other value-added products under the principles of organic agriculture (certified by Biolatina) and fair trade (FLO). About 55% are families from the Chanka ethnicity, the other 45% are settlers who migrated to this part of the Amazon Andes at different stages in Peruvian history.

The cooperative began in 1999 with support from the EU. It achieved organic certification in 2002 and Fairtrade in 2003. Since then, the price premiums it has received have served to expand and diversify its offer. Now it also sells cocoa (50% of sales), sugar and honey, and in 2016 expects to market certified wood.
Number of producers: 930 aprox.
Certification(s): Rainforest Alliance, UTZ, Small Producers' Symbol, Organic, Fairtrade
Conservation Area: Lamas.
Supporting Agencies: European Union
Location: Jr. San Martín N° 514, Lamas, San Martín
Contact: Hildebrando Cárdenas
Email: hcardenas@oroverde.com.pe
Telephone: +51 4 254 3389
Website: http://www.oroverde.com.pe
Source of Information: Prom Perú. "Directorio de Proveedores Peruanos de Productos Orgánicos 2009." Siicex Perú. Web. Accessed April 2015. Link.
Additional information: Link 1

*Do you have more information about this initiative? Contact us at accounts@canopybridge.com or click here to drop a pin on our map and add information.




Back to the directory